Going under the knife? If your doctor or surgeon foresees the need for donor blood, you could consider autologous donation. Pregnant women may also donate autologously provided there are no complications during the pregnancy.
You can become an autologous donor if:
- your surgeon anticipates the need for donor blood and agrees to the procedure
- your health is on par with our physician’s requirements
- you are between the age of 12 and 70 and weigh a minimum of 50kg
- you meet most of the health requirements for normal donation
- your blood pressure and pulse rate are normal
- your haemoglobin level is 11g or more